Seldom does a property such as this become available.
Thirty-four thousand square feet of land, two fine buildings (plus the former chauffeur's residence) steeped in history, rich in architectural design, endowed with beautiful gardens and located in one of the most desirable neighborhoods of Washington, D.C. Convenient to Dupont Circle, Metro, the White House, many embassies, residences, downtown, Capitol Hill and airports. For nearly ninety years the property has been the home of The Textile Museum, one of the foremost specialized art museums in the world. Three structures define the property. 2320 S Street was designed by John Russell Pope, the world-renowned architect who also designed the Jefferson Memorial, the National Gallery of Art’s West Wing, and other famed structures. With its grand foyer, marble floors and a view onto the recessed portico and landscaped formal garden beyond, it was built in 1912-13 by prominent Washingtonian and rug and textile collector George Hewitt Myers as his family’s home. Two years later Myers purchased the adjacent property, at 2330 S Street, which was also designed by a prominent architect, Waddy Butler Wood, whose firm designed what is now the National Museum of Women in the Arts, the U.S. Department of Interior main building, and other landmarks. In 1925, Myers converted the homes into a museum to house his growing textile collection. The entry foyer of 2320 S St has beautiful millwork and Italian walnut paneling, and extends to the lush gardens that flow seamlessly from the rear porch, with their boxwood, wisteria arbors and pebbled courtyard. There is nearly 7,000 square feet of garden, laid out formally in geographic designs, with brick arcades and latticed arches. The gardens extend to the former chauffeur's residence on Decatur Place, also designed by Pope and originally built as part of the home. While the properties are now designed to accommodate The Textile Museum’s collections and visitors, both houses could be modified to be used once again as grand residences, perfect for entertaining, just as they were when they were built 100 years ago. Washington, D.C.’s coveted Kalorama has deep roots in the capital city’s history. Presidents William Taft, Warren G. Harding, Herbert Hoover, Woodrow Wilson and Franklin D. Roosevelt all had homes in the neighborhood. Following the death of Wilson's widow, Edith, the Woodrow Wilson House, located at 2340 S Street, NW, became a museum dedicated to Wilson’s memory that is thriving today. Kalorama is also home to a number of prominent embassies and residences.